Sunday, January 27, 2013

My Experience with Wine Thus Far

Though I don't consider myself a regular wine drinker, I have tasted a variety of different types.  When I began drinking wine, I stuck to sweeter white wines like Moscato and Reisling.  After drinking these wines for a while they became too sweet for me, so I began to experiment with other, less sweet, white wines.  After increasing the bitterness of the wines I drank, I began to enjoy Pinot Grigio and Savingon Blanc.   Though the crisp, tangy flavor, of a nice white wine appeals to me, I have yet to try many red wines aside from Sweet Red's.  The first time I tried red wine was in church during communion, and its flavor has detoured me from it ever since. 

Thus far, I have little knowledge on how to pair wine with food.  I have cooked with wines a few times making dishes with chicken or seafood in it.   My understanding of wine-food pairs is limited to matching red wines with dark meats, and whites with white meat or seafood.  Using wine to cook with added flavor incomparable to recipes involving spices alone.   Though I have experimented with using wines to cook, I have not tried to pair it with food.  I tried a cherry wine instructed to be paired with chocolate.  The wine itself tasted terrible; it was bitter with a strong alcohol content.  When paired with milk chocolate truffles, the combination of the two brought the cherry flavor out of the wine, and made the truffles more decadent.  This was the moment I first noticed the effect wine has with food when carefully paired with it.  

Aside from this cherry wine,  I haven't experimented with any other wine-food pairs, but it spiked my interest in discovering how.  From this course, I hope to gain an appreciation and taste for good wine, and the knowledge to pair foods with it.   My greatest interest is in learning to love the taste of red wine as I have with white, an distinguish the flavors within.  With the numerous positive health benefits associated with moderate wine drinking, developing a taste for different types of wine has become important to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment