Sunday, March 3, 2013

Wine Tasting: Cupcake Red Velvet

Name: Cupcake Red Velvet
Variety: 
Zinfandel, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Petite Sirah
Region:
California

Country: United States
Year: 
2009
Price:
 $8.99


Winery Review: 

The wine was a darkish red in the glass with hints of violet streaking through that were really only visible when I swirled the wine. On the nose I got blackberries and red fruit, but didn’t really pick up the chocolate that the tasting notes claimed would be there. In the mouth the fruit and berry continued on with a hint of what I can only call cola (no brand names here) and a bit of tartness on the finish that I actually enjoyed.

Paired with my simple dinner of rice and meatballs it was a pretty good compliment, though with the cola and berry flavors I would love to pair this with with a BBQ bacon cheeseburger – the mixture of sweet and tangy  would be great from both the wine and the food. - The Wine Guru 2/24/2011


My Review:  I am absolutely in love with this wine!  On the nose this wine is warm, chocolatey and decadent with an edge of plum and berries to liven it up.  Tasting Red Velvet I found it almost gritty in texture, it definitely is not a smooth, light wine.  Mildly acidic, the sweet. sensual combination of varieties made this wine my favorite I have tried thus far!

 
Food: I did not try this wine with food, but would love to alternate with both savory and sweet options!

No comments:

Post a Comment