Thursday, April 11, 2013

Wine Tasting: Torre Castillo Alegre

Name: Torre Castillo Alegre
Variety:  Monastrell
Region:
Jumilla

Country: Spain
Year:
2010
Price:
 $9.95


Winery Review: 4 months in new American oak barrels.  Bright ruby-red.  Dried cherry, pipe tobacco and rose aromas with a hint of woodsmoke.  Sweet and fleshy on the palate, with blackberry and cherry flavors complimented by licorice and a suggestion of dried herbs.  The cherry and smoke notes repeat on the finish.
  - Vintage Cellar 4/11/2013

My Review: 
I think I finally understand what the "Oak Monster" is mentioned on Wine Library TV!  This wine is incredibly dirty and smokey.  It smells like over cooked mashed green vegetables, licorice and cherry.  On the tongue the smokiness gets even stronger, it was hard to clear my palate afterwards to taste the following wine.  It was a very interesting wine, not one of my favorite.  To summarize it has a very strong licorice aroma on the nose, and smokey taste... like inhaling smoke!
 
Food: I did not try this wine with food.

No comments:

Post a Comment